Note: this is a longer post with more photos than usual.
As I was publishing the “You ARE” post, there was a knock at the door.
It was the postman.
Unexpectedly there was a bright purple package with my name on it.
It was soft.
I hadn’t ordered anything and was quite intrigued and in wonder, something I have not felt in a little while.
As I turned it over, I noticed that it was from my Auntie Nik, renouned for her crafty skills of making things out of fabric.
I opened it up to reveal a wonderful hand wrapped tissue paper parcel:
with this note attached:
(More on what Nature Girl Design is later)
Inside I found my very own handmade ComfortTaggy – a soft fleece blanket with tactile tags around the edges that you can rub between your fingers, something kids typically do for comfort:
I immediately phoned to thank my auntie, as the thought that went into this really blew me away. She mentioned that she didn’t know whether to actually make and send it to me as they were meant for kids, but it was kind of a joke as I had remarked earlier that I really wanted one after seeing one she made for my nephew.
I’m glad she made the effort because it got me thinking about the deeper significance of a ComfortTaggy, although designed for kids, and how it relates to adults. Here are my thoughts:
The Zen of ComfortTaggy
- Everyone needs comfort! – just because we are “grown up” doesn’t take away this fact.
- Made with Love – just seeing that label makes me feel good. This is also a reminder for me to do all things with love.
- A reminder to be present – too often we are thinking about the past or future without really noticing the NOW! A simple reconnecting to our 5 senses, which alone are a gift in themselves, brings us right back to where we should be. The ComfortTaggy does this through the sense of touch.
- A reminder to get back to that childlike state of wonder – can you remember how you used to find wonderment in the smallest things? How can you get back to this?
- A random act of kindness – that made me feel great. How could you do this for someone else? In a digital world, the act of sending something physical goes a long way. It could be as simple as sending a card with a handwritten note. It is most definitely the thought that counts! Keep it small, keep it simple.
- A reminder to relax – Kids have no problem taking time out and relaxing. How can you do this in your day to day life?
- A reminder to be peaceful – create a more calming routine, get more rest, get some peace and quiet.
- As Encouragement – I recently expressed an interest in designing some fabric patterns for people like my auntie to use in their projects. Aside from coming up with the name and logo “Nature Girl Design” I haven’t got much further – this is an encouragement to develop a little further. The idea being that the patterns I design are inspired by nature, particularly my fondness for birds.
What a gift! Something as simple as a blanket has turned into something more and acts as a reminder for me on all the above points.
There is meaning in everything in life if you just look a little deeper.
This is my first deeper, more personal post, I hope it gives you a little insight and that you take something from it.
If you would like to see more of my Auntie’s work and see more of her ComfortTaggys then you can visit her here:
– EmmaIf you like this post, you can subscribe to receive regular doses of encouragement and inspiration to help you on your way: