“Handle them carefully, for words have more power than atom bombs. –Pearl Strachan
“Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or ill. –Buddha
I love writing because I can write with hardly any “stuff”, a pen and paper or a laptop is all I need.
Writing allows me to get in the zone and get in touch with something greater than myself.
I am often surprised when I revisit my writing – it’s like someone else is giving me advice or clues as to what I should do next.
Writing is peaceful and works best in silence, nature, away from the call of the internet, noise of TV or lyrics.
Writing empowers me to live my life from the inside out rather than the outside in (media sources like TV, news and radio)
Words are powerful. Ideas are powerful.
Just a few words can change your mood.
A larger collection of words can change your day.
When combined with the magical element of action, an entire book of words can change your life for the better.
Physical stuff (beyond the basic amenities of life e.g. food, shelter, clothing, medicine etc) rarely has a profound effect on your life, but think of the effect words have. They can soothe, comfort, encourage and inspire.
Language is a simple, powerful gift.
You can write anywhere.
Writing is a form of meditation.
Writing costs nothing, writing takes little to no resources, much less than producing something out of real materials.
Writing is freedom.
How I Write / Ways you can get started writing immediately
- Keep a journal.
- Just write!
- At the start of the day, before you get up – write any worries, concerns or thoughts that come to you.
- At the end of the day – reflect on the day, clear your head.
- Start small – write down phrases that come to you.
- Listen, I mean really listen – did you hear that? You already know what to write, just tune into the voice inside.
- I just discovered full screen mode in wordpress (“just write” mode) which is fantastic and allows for great focus.
- If you write digitally, close all other apps and distractions and write in a simple text editor.
I encourage you to write!
– Emma// If you like this post, you can subscribe to receive encouragement and inspiration via email to help you on your way: